July 29, 2022 – Hello and welcome to the 2022-23 school year. I hope all of you and your families had a great summer, recharged, and are now ready to get back to work. There have been some changes since you were last in school, namely hiring me to be the baseball coach.
This is my fourth year teaching and coaching since retiring from the Air Force in 2016. I am originally from Emory, am married to my wife of 23 years Wendy, and we have two kids in college: Coltan and Kayla who both go to Stephen F. Austin State University. Miller Grove is my fourth and the final stop of my coaching career; I was at Sulphur Springs, Commerce and Cooper before being given the opportunity and privilege of joining this first-class school district. To say I am excited about this year and the years to come is an understatement…I cannot wait to get to work and continue building on the tradition of excellence that Miller Grove has established in recent years!
I look forward to meeting all of you in person and coaching your sons.
Head Baseball Coach
- Physicals are required to play sports and are good for two years, with the exception of 6th and 7th grade; students must get a physical in the 6th and 7th grade.
- Junior High (JH) Baseball practice will begin after school on Thursday, August 11th. We will practice every day after school except on game days and afternoons that have a cross country meet scheduled for that day; practice will be from 3:45-5:00pm.
- JH athletes will have strength and conditioning every morning before school at 6:45am. This will allow us to use the JH Athletic period for baseball specific practice, shortening the amount of time we practice after school.
- All students in Athletics are issued workout gear to wear for their strength and conditioning, and baseball players will be issued a practice shirt, pants, belt, and hat. All gear will be turned in and washed every day.
- Here is a short list of things your son will need:
- Athletic shoes: for running and lifting. HeyDudes/Crocs/boots/etc will not be allowed to work out. Also, cleats cannot be worn indoors.
- Baseball cleats: Optional but we have a natural playing surface so cleats are preferred.
- Glove: I have a limited supply so having his own glove will be better for him.
Again, if you have any questions, let me know. It’s going to be a GREAT year!!